Teaching a toddler to brush correctly for 2 minutes in the morning and at night is a challenging task, since this is also the time of testing all the limits and exploring independence. Here are a few tips that might help you with the process:
- Lead by example – brush teeth together with your toddler.
- Ask for your turn to lead their hand with a toothbrush in their mouth.
- Make sure your toddler can see what you or he/she is doing in the mirror. If your mirror is too high – place a small one on the sink level.
- Make teeth brushing a game: you are chasing octopuses out of the mouth and releasing them to freedom to the ocean (Nemo-style).
- Sing a special brushing song – it will help stretch the brushing sessions out, eventually reaching 2 minutes per brushing, recommended.
- Introduce an electric brush, since it can brush thoroughly quicker, and many times has a built-in timer. If the toddler is accepting of the toothbrush, tell him/her – until the brush says “stop”.
At Vibrant Square Dental we follow the recommendation of Canadian Dental Association and advise brinning your infant for their first checkup by 12 months of age or within 6 month of their 1st tooth erruption.
Start your child’s dental health routine on time, and it will become an effortless habit. Call us for an appointment at 905-553-3004 or book it online.